Friday, June 22, 2007

Do Unto Others ...

I took out a bunch of cash from an ATM before leaving for Japan. I used hardly any of it while there, and brought it back with me, so today I went by Bank of America to deposit it again. I walk up to the machine, the guy in front of me leaves, I count my money and put it in an envelope, go to put my card in - and the screen is asking me "Another transaction, or exit?" Oh nice, the tool left his card in the machine. I turn around and see he's nowhere to be found, and anyway I didn't get a look at him so couldn't find him regardless.

I spit his card out, do my deposit, and my receipt pushes his receipt out, which he also forgot. Dude took out 300 bucks and has $8616 left in his account! Maaaaan! I was thinking about it, what if I'd just taken a cool grand out to teach him to value personal responsibility a little more? Woulda been a fair trade, right? I mean life is hard.

Alas, being the good guy that I am - and realizing that multiple cameras had already got me - I took the guy's card inside and gave it to an Authorized Bank Employee.

But damn ... I coulda had some FUN with a thousand bucks in cash. Hookers, blow, and video cards, baby! Well - maybe just the videocards: two of 'em. So, er - change that to: SLI, baby!

4 Comments:

Blogger B said...

I'm pretty sure that those machines ask you to enter your pin code again if you do another cash transaction, but, yes, that has happened to me twice, at the same bank!

7:40 AM  
Blogger GregP said...

Really? That possibility never occurred to me. I just assumed that once the card was in and the pin had been entered once, you were pretty much free to do whatever you like.

Actually this has happened to me before too, two other times, I think. I really don't get how you can walk away from the screen when it clearly is prompting you for what to do next.

11:05 AM  
Blogger GregP said...

By the way, a friend pointed out over dinner last night that if the guy had just pulled out $300, he'd probably already hit the daily cash withdrawal limit and thus I wouldn't have been able to do anything. D'oh! Hadn't even thought of that.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Mediocre Blogger said...

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tried to take any money out.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home