Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Things Done Changed

... on this side
Remember they used to thump
But now they blast, riiight?


It's been an eventful past few weeks and I'm starting to change the way I feel about a lot of things, the way I think, the way I act, on a daily basis.

One realization I've had is that I'm tired of living in the 'burbs. When I moved out of San Francisco three months ago and down to Sunnyvale, the commute shrink from an hour-and-a-half door-to-door down to thirteen minutes, as well as the constant 10-15 degree increase in temperature outside, brought a smile to my face every day. I missed the city, but the south bay grew on me; San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto all had a comfortable, laid-back feel to them that I enjoyed. And the plethora of great south Indian restaurants - how can you beat having a Saravanaa Bhavan ten minutes from your house? - was awesome. I'd gotten fairly comfortable living here.

But having spent most of three weekends ago back in San Francisco (Sriram and Bharath were visiting), then the past two weekends in D.C., I've realized that I desperately need to be back in a city. Staying at Sriram's awesome new place off of U Street was heaven. It's within easy walking distance of, well, U Street, as well as Adams Morgan and DuPont Circle. The Metro is conveniently just a few blocks away, and I used it to go everywhere I needed to go. There are a million restaurants / pubs / cafes to check out. Every night there's some jazz band to go see, some author's book reading to listen to, some organization's event to attend - there's always something. There's just so much life going on there; the city feels alive 24 hours a day. It was intoxicating.

And it made me realize, this is where I need to be. Not necessarily D.C., but in some city. I need to immerse myself in livelihood; I feed off the energy and it inspires me, motivates me. I'm just now remembering a position that opened up a few months ago in D.C., and my manager was looking for people who were interested. I could've been heading back to D.C. as I type this! At the time, it wasn't meant to be. But if I could do it now, though, ...

2 Comments:

Blogger B said...

I wonder if you'll ever write something less than 4 paragraphs. :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger GregP said...

Hey, I'm in the blogger honeymoon phase, bear with me.

My longwindedness is why I made my page wider today, but still the posts are long. Actually I prefer a longer post to some two sentence poor-excuse-for-a-post like SOME people try to get away with.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home